Post match review
26th of September, 2020
Mid Sussex Division One – Godstone 4-1 MVFC 2s
Gary only allows me 300 words for these match reports, which is a blessing in disguise as I could write a thesis on the issues from Saturday, so let’s try and keep this like Warwick Davis, short and sweet.
Let’s start with a number instead, 28 …
- The number of times the squad and starting XI changed from Wednesday night;
- The number of times we struggled to deal with the long diagonal ball over the top;
- The minute of the game in which we found ourselves 3-0 down;
- The average delay in minutes people experienced due to the A23 closures (plan ahead people);
- The number of minutes we had as a collective to get changed and warm up for the game.
Anyway, credit where it is due, Godstone battled harder than MVFC 2s, won the 2nd ball time and time again and took their chances well. MVFC 2s clawed one back before half time thanks to Liam Humphreys deflected shot and could’ve gone in 3-2 at the break if the Godstone defender hadn’t nicked the ball away from Ollie Cass from 6 yards out.
The game was far from over at 3-1 with 45 minutes still to play and MVFC 2s shooting downhill in the 2nd half still to come. However, possession in their half failed to be turned into enough chances and even those weren’t converted with any conviction. As we pushed on, Godstone caught MVFC 2s on the break to make it 4-1 in the final 5 minutes and put the result beyond doubt.
4 games down, 2 wins and 2 defeats … the show must go on. Buxted at home next week, time to see some bouncebackability (Iain Dowie TM) within the squad.
MOTM – Jake Burton